Tuesday, May 3, 2016

I'm Nobody! Who Are You?

I'm Nobody! Who Are You?

By Emily Dickinson

I'm Nobody! Who are you?
Are you - Nobody - too?
Then there's a pair of us!
Don't tell! they'd advertise - you know!

How dreary - to be - Somebody!
How public - like a Frog -
To tell one's name - the livelong June -
To an admiring Bog!

Society says, get out there and make a name for yourself. Dress to impress, to stand out, and that includes your personal website. Post your best selfie and wait for the likes to roll in. Make sure you tweet at least three times a day, so people don't forget you exist. Because they will. You know they will.

They will anyway. Within thirty seconds, they'll scroll down, and your face will be history. Which is why Emily Dickinson stands in the shadows in her long white dress and says, I'm Nobody! Who are you?

You don't have to be somebody, she says. That's boring; banal. Hide with me, says Emily, the ghost, the recluse. Work by moonlight in your own dark garden. You know who you are. Don't ask them to tell you; they'll just get it wrong.


2 comments:

  1. I like the quirkiness of this poem, coupled with its very relevant message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this poem. I hope everybody in our class keeps writing. So we can keep in touch!!


















    ReplyDelete